Re: [AMBER] Analysis of MD simulation

From: <steinbrt.rci.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 00:38:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

the B-Factor is not the mean square displacement, which is often called
<u^2>. B is defined as:

B= 8 pi^2 <u^2>

Therefore a B-factor of 20 means ca. 0.5 A positional uncertainty (in a
perfect structure. The actual relation for real X-ray cryst. is a bit more
complicated). Unfortunately, I have no citation for that (other than my
Ph.D. thesis which you are welcome to cite ;-) ).

Kind Regards,

Thomas

On Sat, September 25, 2010 12:15 am, Ashutosh Shandilya wrote:
> I am sending this mail again even a little idea would guide me.
> I have seen RCSB structures where theres a B factor value ranging from
> 20-60.I dont know the unit but someone suggested thst it is Armstrong
> square
> but what does these high value imply.(because if we take the square root
> its
> still 4-9 Angstrom).Does the crystal structure coordinates are so
> uncertain.
>
> When I run MD simulation while heating and equilibrating there is change
> of
> 1.5-2 Angstrom in RMSD.IS that fine even if I run on crystal structure
> there
> is change and in that course the ligand moloecule loses some of the
> interaction and I get slightly lesser binding affinity due to the lateral
> shift of ligand molecule and the protein.Also sometimes it is proposed
> that
> we should dock the ligand after running a small simulation.
>
> On emore thing if I do homology modeling with 70% similarity i get a
> structure of 0.3 Angstrom from the crystal structure but when I run the
> simulation while heating and equilibrating the structure I get has 2
> Angstrom from the crystal structure.
>
> So is this normal or shall I change the protocol for better understanding
> and please guide me bit more about the application of B factor.What are
> the
> other things that I can analyze with the MD simulation data besides
> energy,RMSD, inter atomic distances,B factor etc.
> I am eagerly waiting for the replies.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Shandilya Ashutosh