Re: [AMBER] Running MM-PBSA at different temperatures

From: Thomas Cheatham <tec3.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 20:04:14 -0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)

> I'm trying to run mm-pbsa at different temperatures to analyze the
> effects of temperature on the binding of a protein-DNA complex. I was
> wondering if there is a way to specify the running temperature as a
> parameter for the mm-pbsa script. I tried to set the temp variable to
> the desired temperature, but it seems there is no effect. I am using
> the mm-pbsa perl scripts with amber 10.

No effect, seems correct to me. I would not expect much of an effect in
mm-pbsa. Remember,

  deltaG = deltaH - T deltaS

There is no temperature dependence to the "H" (loosely equivalent to the
potential energy in the MD). Where temperature has an effect is in the
entropy term which is solute entropy (via nmode or other estimates which
may not even be turned on in your mm-pbsa analysis since it tends to be
expensive) and potentially the solvation free energy term although this is
likely small in a continuum approximation...

It is highly unlikely you will be able to get temperature dependence from
a single trajectory at 300K since at higher temperatures a larger ensemble
of conformations would be sampled (meaning higher entropy and sampling of
higher potential energy structures). To get the temperature dependence,
likely a replica-exchange approach (at minimum) would be required...

--tec3