[AMBER] Pressure in bar or atm?

From: Ben Roberts <roberts.qtp.ufl.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:01:46 -0400

Hi all,

One aspect of Amber that I've been a little confused on is whether it uses bar or atm for its units of pressure. The manual says, "Reference pressure (in units of bar, where 1 bar 1 atm [sic]) at which the pressure is maintained".

In the past, I think that it had read "1 bar = 1 atm", except that we know 1 bar is not exactly 1 atm. Which left me not sure whether pressure units supposedly in bars were actually treated as though in atm, or whether the equals sign was meant to be an almost-equals sign that got badly rendered.

For the sake of clarity, I've got the lyx files, and I'm tempted to replace "1 bar 1 atm" with something like "1 bar = 0.9869 atm". Before I go ahead, does that accurately describe how Amber treats things?

Cheers,
Ben