Re: [AMBER] pmemd 11 (parallel) compilation error

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:09:11 -0700

Hi Paul

> To add one more piece of data to the mix, remember I stated that
> sander.MPI compiles OK despite the fact that pmemd.MPI does not. Well
> the one obvious difference between the two is that sander.MPI is
> compiled with "mpif90 -o sander.MPI ...", while pmemd.MPI is compiled
> with "mpif90 -fast -o pmemd.MPI ..." When I remove the "-fast"
> optimization flag, pmemd.MPI compiles with no problem and passes all
> of the test cases (test.parallel.pmemd). (So I suppose in some weird
> way, this is related to bugfix 8.) From the Intel compiler manual (p.
> 577) I see that "-fast" sets the following options "-ipo, -O3, -no-
> precdiv, *-static*, and -xHost". It seems to me that specifying "-
> fast" is asking ifort to, among other things, build with static
> libraries. Could this be putting it at odds with the dynamic mpi
> libraries?

Ah, that explains it... This did not occur to me when releasing bugfix.8. So
-fast forces static linking which means you must have the .a version of the
MPI library. You have two options. Either recompile your MPI and add support
for static linking. Normally you would give this as an argument to the
openMPI configure run (FFLAGS=-static or similar). This should then build
you the .a version of the library.

Alternatively I would edit your config.h file and change all occurances of
-fast to be:

-ipo -O3 -no-precdiv -xHost

Then make clean, make and it should link okay this time. I will have a think
about how we might improve things in the Makefile to detect if the static
libraries are available or not.

All the best
Ross

/\