Re: [AMBER] A clear procedure to do WHAM based on the REMD simulations outputs

From: Dongshan Wei <dswei0523.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:19:00 -0400

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your information.

This week I first read the Chodera's code and tried to follow his
method, but eventually I gave up since I'm not familiar with python
and the installation of numpy and scipy also have problems in my
computer. Then I changed to use Grossfield's method, but after I read
the manual I found the code has the stability problem due to the
calculation of exp(-E/kT). Furthermore, both of these two methods
spend much effort on calculation of the standard deviation of
possibility (or PMF), which makes the program more complex. If we
don't care the standard error, I think the WHAM can be much simpler.
Now I want to write my own code. Before I begin, I have several
problems to ask you:

(1) How to determine the energy bin? Here the energy is total energy
or just potential energy in temperature REMD? In order to get the
energy distribution, whether or not are all of the energies from
different temperatures and different replicas counted?

(2) To read the energy values from T-REMD simulations, should I read
them from .mden file or .mdout file? Both of these two files records
the energy values at each interval of ntwr and ntpr. In addition, I
found the temperature for each replica at the same simulation time in
.mdcrd file and in .mdout is the same, but is different from any value
of Temp, T_solute, T_solv in .mden file. Why is there difference of
the recorded temperature in .mden and .mdout files?

(3) About the equation of g=1+2*tau, is it safe to simplify g=1? How
do you determine the correlation time tau and what is the magnitude in
order of tau for small biological system (one peptide chain and ~1000
TIP4P water)?

Thanks so much for time!

Best!

Dongshan