Re: [AMBER] Compiling failure of Amber 9

From: David Watson <dewatson.olemiss.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:22:56 -0500

You will need to edit the config.h file after each ./configure so that it has the appropriate link line if you have newer Intel compilers.

For an exact link line, please refer to:
  http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-mkl-link-line-advisor/

Also, please make sure that you source the proper ifortvars.sh/iccvars.sh/mklvars*.sh before you attempt to "make" Amber.
It appears you have done what is necessary for the serial version, so I think the link line advisor is the place to visit first.

On Jul 22, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Yubo Fan wrote:

> Jason,
>
> The compiling still failed with error message "ld: cannot find -lmkl".
> I've already changed lvml to lsvml as you instructed. I think MPI_HOME
> were correctly set. Is it possible that the Intel Compiler I'm using
> is too new? Any advice?
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:27:29 -0400
> Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Amber9 attempted to manually set the mpi libraries rather than
>> trusting the
>> MPI wrappers. Assuming you have properly installed openMPI, you can
>> do the
>> following: replace all ifort with mpif90 in the config.h file. You
>> can also
>> get rid of all of the MPI_LIB or MPI_LIBRARY definitions, since
>> mpif90 takes
>> care of that implicitly. Also make sure MPI_HOME is set (although
>> this MAY
>> not be necessary). MPI_HOME I think is only required if the
>> preprocessor
>> needs to know about mpif.h, in which case mpif90 doesn't take care
>> of that.
>> MPI_HOME should be set to the directory containing bin/mpif90. For
>> example,
>> if "which mpif90" returns /usr/local/bin/mpif90, then MPI_HOME
>> should be
>> /usr/local.
>>
>> Good luck!
>> Jason
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Yubo Fan
>> <yubofan.mail.chem.tamu.edu>wrote:
>>
>>> Jason,
>>>
>>> The serial compilation worked now. But the parallel one did not with
>>> error message:

>>> ================
>>> make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/amber9/src/netcdf/src'
>>> Not making `cxx/install' because no C++ compiler
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/amber9/src/netcdf/src'
>>> cp ../netcdf/include/*.mod .
>>> cpp -traditional -Iopenmpi-1.4.2-intel64/include -P -DMPI -DMKL
>>> -DBINTRAJ evb_vars.f > _evb_vars.f
>>> ifort -c -w95 -mp1 -O0 -FR -o evb_vars.o _evb_vars.f
>>> cpp -traditional -Iopenmpi-1.4.2-intel64/include -P -DMPI -DMKL
>>> -DBINTRAJ evb_input.f > _evb_input.f
>>> ifort -c -w95 -mp1 -O0 -FR -o evb_input.o _evb_input.f
>>> cpp -traditional -Iopenmpi-1.4.2-intel64/include -P -DMPI -DMKL
>>> -DBINTRAJ evb_init.f > _evb_init.f
>>> evb_init.f:18: error: mpif.h: No such file or directory
>>> make[1]: *** [evb_init.o] Error 1