Re: [AMBER] Periodic Neighbor Distance

From: Paul S. Nerenberg <psn.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:49:00 -0700

Hi Logan,

I'm guessing that the more experienced hands on this list can give you
more sagely advice, but the smallest box dimension must be at least
2*(cut + skinnb) otherwise the simulation will not run. [Note that
skinnb is 2 Å by default in AMBER, though this can be changed.] This
would be the absolute minimum size system you could have, and I (and
probably others) would suggest having at least several Å of additional
solvent "buffer".

Just to give an example, I commonly solvate my systems using
"solvateoct solute solvent 9" in leap, thus guaranteeing at least ~16
Å between neighboring protein (image) molecules after NPT
equilibration (my real space cut-off is usually 9 Å). This amount of
buffer may be overkill for some systems and not enough for others in
terms of avoiding periodicity-induced artifacts in your simulations.
I would suggest reading an "oldie, but goodie" from the McCammon
group: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp9937757. More recently,
I know that Robert Best and Gerhard Hummer have examined this issue in
their force field optimization efforts: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp901540t
.

Hope that helps,

Paul