Re: [AMBER] Davies Bouldin Index with DME in ptraj

From: Geoffrey Wood <gwood.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:15:26 -0400

Dear Jianyin,

Firstly, sorry I took some time to reply to this. However, I have again gone through the recipe that you outline below. And again by hand I can reproduce the DBI for rmsds but not DMEs
I tried for a trajectory that I clustered into a size of 2 so as to circumvent the max in fred(X) and even with a simple test like this I am unable to get the DME numbers.

To calculate the DBI by hand I used the two numbers from the clustering output i.e:

#Cluster 0 has average-distance-to-centroid 1.556713
#Cluster 1 has average-distance-to-centroid 1.454760

and then computed the DME, using the formula that you use, from centroid0 to centroid1. The DBI should then just be (1.55+1.45)/(the number I calc) however it is way off what is reported in the clustering output DBI: 2.34419 versus DBI: 8.6.

Again I reiterate doing the same thing with RMSDs I have no problem. This suggests that perhaps my DME formula is incorrect. However, I assure you that I am using the one from the 1994 Torda paper, which is the one you quote below.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.