Re: [AMBER] effect of pre-processor flags on pmemd?

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:31:20 -0400

Tuning does not effect results. Allowable tuning flags include
DIRFRC_*, SLOW_INDIRECTVEC, SLOW_NONBLOCKING_MPI (not recommended except for
really slow interconnects), FFTLOADBAL_2PROC (not really that helpful except
for small processor count workstations, sometimes). All the NEED_* and
BUILD_* defines are for internal use only, basically allowing code reuse in
places. DON'T define these... (basically if you see something #define'd in
the code itself, it is probably not a good idea to dink with it... - then
one exception I can think of being selecting the FFT library in use, and
that should all automate through the configure script). The stuff you can
mess with is really pretty much covered in the README. As for a new
architecture, I typically try the various permutations to see what works -
something like 12 of them if memory serves. There are basic differences
depending on risc vs cisc, and how much support there is for vector
operations for the cpu. One can guess by looking at how a similar chip is
being handled; turning on DIRFRC_EFS is a pretty good idea for intel
ia32-like chips (not necessarily itanium, I don't recall).
Regards - Bob Duke