[AMBER] Setup of defined salt concentrations

From: Anselm Horn <Anselm.Horn.biochem.uni-erlangen.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:16:33 +0200

Dear all,

(I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before)

is there a canonical way in the Amber community to add ions (e.g. Na+
and Cl-) not for charge neutralization of the protein system, but to
create a given (e.g. physiological) salt concentration in the solution?

In the Amber mail archives I found a perl script from Thomas Cheatham
that computes the number of necessary molecules from a given volume.

Of course, these ions can then be added with leap.
However, when I tried it once for a single system, all ions appeared
rather crowded and were not distributed in an approximately uniform way
in the solvent box; this could have been an outcome of my system, of course.

So my question is: How do other people deal with this?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,

Anselm

Bioinformatik
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Germany