Re: [AMBER] QMMM of protein-ligand complex: Unable to achieve self consistency

From: Dmitri Nilov <nilovdm.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:10:21 +0400

Many Thanks!
Now I'm working on accurate optimization of starting geometry, but it seems
that the main origin of error is a choice of QM region. I try to include in
QM part both ligand and fragment of N-terminal serine (that is a key residue
in catalysis). So I cut serine in following manner:

HO-CH2-CA- linkatom - CO-protein

               NH2

Both OH- and neutral NH2- groups are crucial in catalysis. I know that it is
a bad choice to cut peptide bond, but cutting CA-C bond seems to be
dangerous too.
Is there any way to resolve the problem? And another question for the
future: is it reasonable to include in QM part residues, that act in
catalysis via backbone (because I have no idea how to cut QM part from the
rest of the protein in this case)?

Dmitry Nilov,
Lomonosov Moscow State University