Re: [AMBER] Minimization Failure

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:24:44 -0400

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010, Taufik Al-Sarraj wrote:

> few of my simulations are failing at minimization. I tried the following.
> 1. turn SHAKE off in the second minimization step (the output below is
> from the second stage)

It looks like you and explicit water simulation (ntb=1). In such cases, you
cannot turn off SHAKE in any reliable fashion -- water models like TIP3p
(and protein models like Amber) have some atoms with zero Lennard-Jones
parameters, and these must be constrained via SHAKE in order for thing to work
well.

Amber does emphasize minimization for explicit water structures, primarily
because it is not a commonly used technique. If you have a bad starting
structure, doing some minimization to eliminate bad contacts can help, but
this is generally only a prelude to running molecular dynamics.

...good luck....dac