Re: [AMBER] Errors while running Amber

From: Nkwe Monama <nmonama.csir.co.za>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 16:46:59 +0200

Dear Robert,

I used sander.MPI

Regards,
Nkwe

>>> "Robert Duke" <rduke.email.unc.edu> 03/05/10 3:57 PM >>>
It looks to me like you are attempting a pme simulation on a single residue
without any solvent present. Due to workload division issues in parallel
runs, especially for sander, you need at least 1 residue in your system per
processor in use (may actually be more; I don't remember the exact code).
So it makes sense to run implicit solvent methods like generalized Born
without solvent, but this is generally not true for explicit solvent methods
like pme, and that leads me to believe you need to go to the amber website,
ambermd.org, and spend some time running the tutorials there as well as
reading the amber manual. But my point about explicit solvent - if you had
solvated the system, then you would have a LOT of "residues" (actually
molecules) in the solvent, and that is when it becomes profitable to run on
lots of processors. Incidentally, it looks to me in the output below like
you actually attempted the run on 48 processors. Did you use sander, not
sander.MPI?
Regards - Bob Duke