Re: [AMBER] Protein + Bilayer Simulations: Role of salt

From: Lalit Dubey <dubey.lalit.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:43:48 -0600

Hi Jason,

Thats truly the way to think about the role of ions in a protein+Bilayer
simulation at first. Thanks. But whats the judgement or say, convention as
of now. We can think of a 'protein' as a generic one. Nothing especial. (All
polar residues are towards outside surface and hydrophobic ones
are buried inside). [Mine is pkc with +1e charge].

Whats the motivation for those who do protein + Bilayer simulations to add
or just to not add salt concentration in the system??

Mine was that it hardly matters in such a big system and contemporary others
are not treating it (as a critical factor) and still doing protein+Bilayer
simulations. Moreover, our experience with other similar systems shows
little effect on salt concentration.[I am going to write individually to all
those who have published such a work however I want initial motivation
factors that makes the judgement at first].

yeah, I have to address this question as raised in a seminar.

Thanks again,
--- Lalit