Re: [AMBER] AMBER 9 parallel compilation problem on Mac OS X 10.6

From: David Watson <dewatson.olemiss.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:21:11 -0600

On Feb 3, 2010, at 6:15 AM, pelaez.usal.es wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile AMBER 9 on a Mac Pro 4.1 (2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core
> Intel Xeon) with Mac OS X vers 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard). I have successfully
> installed the serial version.
>
> When trying to install the parallel version, I have found the following
> problem:
>
> MacPro:src root# make clean
> OUTPUT at the bottom of the message: CLEAN.LOG
> MacPro:src root# ./configure -openmpi ifort_macosx
> OUTPUT at the bottom of the message: CONFIG.LOG
> MacPro:src root# make parallel
> OUTPUT at the bottom of the message: MAKE.LOG

[snip]

Just to add my two cents.
Since the problems you have are related to openmpi, I would like to suggest you try to compile parallel with mpich2 on the mac.
Mpich2 uses up each and every bit of processor it can get on a single SMP mac.
Additionally, if you need to perform REMD with 4 procs, and you only physically have 2, mpich2 will happily open 4 threads, allowing the REMD run to proceed, whereas openmpi will just bomb and complain that you don't have enough cores to run the simulation.