Re: [AMBER] Re: Fw: Help required in Amber10 Installation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:01:38 -0400

Also, the .bash_profile is always sourced at the beginning of each shell
session, but I believe .bashrc is only sourced if your shell is explicitly
told to at some point (either by some global profile script or your
.bash_profile itself). If you believe that your .bashrc is not being
sourced when you launch a new shell, add the following 3 lines to your
.bash_profile
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
   source ~/.bashrc
fi

This will source your .bashrc in your home directory only if it exists, and
it will do so each time your start a new shell. I typically find this good
practice rather than editing your .bash_profile since .___rc files are
pretty universal across many different programs, and it prevents the
.bash_profile from getting too cluttered. Lastly, you have to export
AMBERHOME before you use it to expand your PATH variable. Again, 'set' is
only used for csh to set environment variables, so use export only.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>wrote:

> You're not using bash syntax. It's a mix of cshell and bash. Use export
> instead of set.
> export AMBERHOME=/path/to/amber10
> export PATH=$AMBERHOME/exe:$PATH
>
> Warning-- do not forget the $PATH at the end of the second statement or it
> will completely overwrite your path and you won't be able to find any
> executables (i.e. vi, rm, mv, etc.)!
>
> Good luck!
> Jason Swails
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Nicolas Sapay <
> nicolas.sapay.cermav.cnrs.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Did you source your .bashrc or .bash_profile after your modifications? If
>> not, you have to:
>>
>> source .bashrc
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nicolas
>>

>> Sudeep Narayan Banerjee a écrit :
>>
>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I tried to define the environment variables in .bashrc file, opened a
>>> new
>>> shell & typed in echo $AMBERHOME...it gave me nothing. I even tried with
>>> .bash_profile file but still same output, that's nothing, null. In the
>>> Amber10.pdf file its written that "You should then add $AMBERHOME/exe to
>>> your
>>> PATH." I am defining the line in the same file .bashrc and once again i
>>> tried