Re: [AMBER] Extreme optimization problems

From: case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:51:23 +0100

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009, ondrej.prenosil.marge.uochb.cas.cz wrote:

> we have a really strange and mad goal - to optimize protein (4881 atoms)
> so the GMAX is less or equal to 1e-7. Is there somewhere a good and
> experienced soul, that can help?

We do this routinely, using the xmin minimizer in NAB or sander. With
Newton-Raphson minimization, you can easily get below 10*-11. Such a
simulation makes good sense in implicit solvent (like GB); it might not work
so well with explicit solvent and periodic boundaries.

Look at amber10/test/nab/txmin.nab. Increase maxiter and
decrease the grms_tol value, and things will probably work.

...good luck....dac