RE: [AMBER] Changing Force Fields in "Midstream"

From: Kristina Furse <Kristina.Furse.1.nd.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:58:06 -0400

Hi Bob-

Sorry this is kind of late--it's probably irrelevant to your new ion problem, but I'll go ahead and post this anyway. I've had to do this kind of thing before, so I came up with a trick so I don't have to rebuild the box.

First, take your existing .rst and prmtop files and make a pdb:

ambpdb -p parmtop < orig.rst > DNA.pdb

Then read this pdb of your entire system into xleap after loading the new force field, and use the setbox command to say there is a box w/out building a new one:

source leaprc.ff99
loadamberparams ~/solDynProject/prep_frcmod/parmbsc0/frcmod.parmbsc0
loadoff ~/solDynProject/prep_frcmod/parmbsc0/DNA_CI.lib
dna = loadpdb DNA.pdb
setBox dna centers
saveamberparm dna new.parmtop junk.dat

Throw away junk.dat b/c it will have the wrong box--just use your orig.rst. Now, here I go through some extra steps to b/c I'm paranoid. In the new.parmtop file, I go to the %FORMAT section and change the "box" flag from 1 (cubic) to 2 (truncated octahedron). It is the third number from the right in the third line (you can find a description of the parmtop file format on the amber website). Then I go down to the %FLAG BOX_DIMENSIONS section and replace it with the same section from my original parmtop. I believe that these things aren't really used anymore, or they are overridden by information at the bottom of the restart file after the initial run, but like I said, I'm paranoid and this method gives me a parmtop with the new force field that is in every other way identical to my original one. Like Ross said, be sure to use ambpdb to double check that the new parmtop is compatible with your orig.rst and builds the same structure.

Good luck!

Kristina

--
Kristina Furse