Re: [AMBER] binding free energy

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:22:22 -0500

Did it "pause" (ie., stop running somewhere in the middle), or did it
perhaps fail to restart? One thing that can happen is that with diffusion
your coordinates exceed the limits of the restart file format. This more
typically happens around 20 nsec for me, and the fix is to run a step with
iwrap set to 1 (or some folks just run with wrapping on all the time, to
which there are various pro's and con's - check the amber reflector
archives). A simulation should not just fail in midstream unless there is a
problem with the simulation system, a hardware failure, a disk fills up, a
system software failure, etc. One commun problem on cheaper hardware is
that there will be an mpi interconnect problem associated with loose cables
or bad interconnect hardware. So I don't think we really have enough info
on this to tell you what is really going on, but there are some
possibilities.
Regards - Bob