Re: AMBER: GB versus explicit medium

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:33:43 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Carlos Simmerling
<carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote:
> Using GB to replace explicit water already has some weaknesses, but I
> think GB with dielectric of ~80 is an even worse model for the
> interior of a lipid..
> I'm not sure if that is the problem, but I would not really expect
> this to work. Charlie Brooks has used his GB for membranes, but they
> define a dielectric boundary at the water/lipid interface. There is a
> review article on this in ARCC.

I'll look for the article, it would help if you have the exact ref.

Actually, my initial plan was to embed the pore region into a hydrated
POPC membrane and define GB for the extracellular part. I first tried
GB for the whole, getting discouraged by the high computational cost.
Adding the membrane it would be to much, or too costly. Finally, given
the nature of the protein, with so many variables for the status of
the amino acids (in the GB simulation the protein has a charge -50!
and the best pKa simulation programs are defeated by so much stuff: I
tried) this is a project for the future, or for unlimited
computational resources. Unless Charlie Brooks' methodology is (for
me) computationally affordable, I am forced to to leave docking to the
extracellular part at the status that the docking program was able to
do; it works through a huge number of reciprocal orientations but the
proteins are left to their crystallographic conformations. Certainly
not the best model since the crystallographic data are at a very low
temperature. I would be happy enough to be able to pave the way for
future research.

I agree that there may be a bias overriding the capability of GB. I
tried to be careful with the steps preceding production, following
advice that you kindly provided before (notice that there was no
protein distortions before MD production; distortion - as described -
came out slowly and gradually during production). How production is
carried out in steps was outlined in my previous mail.

francesco