RE: AMBER: Electrostatic Energy Components

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:11:14 -0500 (EST)

Ross,

Is there any reason why the 1-4 EEL and VDW are calculated in the amber
force field (and in the other force fields)? As you said, in the eel and
vdw calculations, the 1-2 and 1-3 terms are never included, and 1-4
interactions are scaled and then included in the final EEL/VDW terms. I
never understood why the 1-4 interactions are included in the EEL and VDW
terms.

Let's say that we have a C2H4 molecule. This molecule has max 3 bonds.
Let's say that we do simulation in vacuum. What I would have thought was
that because the force fields have bond/angle/dihedral terms to simplify
the calculations, all the 1-2,1-3,1-4 interactions in a system will only
depend on the the parameters defined for bond/angle/dihedrals. As a
result, what I would have thought was that the simulation of C2H4 molecule
in vacuum will not depend on the charges defined for each atom. If the
parametrization of the H-C-C-H dihedral was done to reproduce the QM
energy, the atomic charges should not have any effect on the energy. The
atomic charges will be important if the simulation is done in a solvent.

Best regards,

--
  Ilyas Yildirim, Ph.D.
  = Hutchison Hall B#10          - Department of Chemistry      =