Re: AMBER: ptraj new mask parser: differences from ambmask and core dumps

From: M. L. Dodson <activesitedynamics.comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:49:49 -0600

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 04:48:47PM -0600, Jianyin Shao wrote:
> Hi, Bud,
>

> When you select atoms based on distance criteria in ptraj, you need to
> provide the atom coordinates for ptraj using a "reference ref.cor" command
> before other ptraj commands. Due to the reason that the ptraj determines the
> atom masks at the beginning of the processing, the atom selection is not
> dynamic. The rdparm cannot take "reference" as a command, so please chek
> your ptraj output to make sure the atom masks are correctly selected.
>
> Best,
>
> Jianyin Shao

OK! Thanks. That is easy enough to satisfy. I'll try it tomorrow.

Bud

PS, I had already figured out that rdparm, having only the prmtop file
when I issued the checkmask command, could not have done distances.

PPS, thinking about this some more, your answer would seem to imply
that the identities of the waters selected by distance would be fixed
by the reference coordinates. That does not work very well for my
purpose, since I wanted to see the waters come and go into and out of
the region of the active site over the trajectory. Is this correct?

Does anyone know if vmd can do active selections of this type across a
trajectory? (Eventually, I want to make a movie.)