RE: AMBER: Problem In Paralklel Amber

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:35:50 -0700

Hi Ranga,

Lam comes with a series of test files, have you run these to make sure 'simple' mpi programs work? I would suggest you try to debug things this way first rather than trying it with a sander run which is just going to confuse things. You can also try things like:

mpirun -np 4 ls

and see if it spawns 4 copies of ls and thus gives you 4 directory listings. If you only see 1 copy then this suggests that there is something wrong with your mpi installation. Where did you get this copy of lam? Is it the one that comes with Linux in some cases or the version shipped with AMBER?

You should also check that your path is setup correctly. I.e. try:

which lamboot

and see what path you get - is it what you expect. Then try

which mpirun

and see what you get - is it the mpirun for this version of lam or is it running some other mpirun that is lying around? Often this can be the problem when multiple different mpi installations are on the same machine.

There may also be ways to run lamboot and mpirun in debug mode so it writes data lots of data to the terminal about what it is doing. Try man lamboot and man mpirun.

Good luck,
Ross