RE: AMBER: MD goes wrong

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:33:43 -0700

Hi Boahua,

A few comments.

1) tempi=360.0, temp0=360.0

You are running at 360K - this is probably too hot for your protein and it
probably just unfolds.

2) nscm=50

This is very frequent to be removing center of mass translation and
rotation, are you sure you need it this often?

3) tol=0.0001

This is a VERY loose shake tolerance. Why are you changing it from the
default?

4) heat=0.0

This option was retired way back in AMBER 8 - what version of AMBER are you
using?

Also, what do you mean by "chaos" - how did you equilibrate your system?
What exactly happens to it. Did you equilibrate with restraints on an only
just removed the restraints? Were the energies huge during the
equilibration? - Try running 100 steps or so with ntpr=1 and ntw=1 and then
you can carefully watch the system and see how / where it blows up from. You
likely have problems with your initial structure, although the 360K probably
doesn't help.

All the best

Ross