RE: AMBER: amber 10 parallel cpu utlization

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:09:37 -0700

Hi Sohail,

This issue has been discussed many times previously on the list. Please take
a look at the archives http://archive.ambermd.org/ for some examples.

Essentially the problem is that gigabit ethernet is far too slow for running
in parallel on modern systems, in fact I'm surprised you see any speedup
with a crossover cable but perhaps you aren't using multicore nodes, I know
for dual x quad core nodes it is next to useless. Your only option, short of
rewriting the laws of physics, is to move to an interconnect designed for
low latency and high bandwidth as MD in parallel requires. Probably the best
well known example right now is infiniband.

Alternatively, if you are at a US university or national lab then you can
apply for time on NSF supercomputers (http://pops-submit.teragrid.org)
alternatively most countries run supercomputer centers and you should
contact them to see if you can get time.

Unfortunately the days of gigabit ethernet for building clusters to run MD
in parallel are long gone...

Good luck,
Ross