Re: AMBER: Explanation of the energy unit ?

From: Marek Malý <maly.sci.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:24:17 +0200

Dear Prof. Case,

my question was from the very beginning devoted to the [kcal/mol] unit
and not [cal] or [kcal] itself.

If you find the relevant wikipedia page, please send me the link.

As I already wrote sooner the interpretation of this unit or more
precisely the interpretation of the energy results expressed in this unit
is clear. What is not so much clear ( at least to me :)) ) is the reason
why
was this unit adopted and at least in atomistic simulations in material and
live science is now more or less standard.

What is the general advantage of this unit in above mentioned areas in
compare
with other usual units like [J],[cal],[kcal],[eV] ...

Why is so advantageous to get every time energy in [kcal] of one mole of
my systems
however in practice I simulate and analyse just one system ?

    Marek

http://www.opera.com/mail/