AMBER: RE: reference paper - pls help

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:37:24 -0700

Hi Ruchi,

Such questions should really be posted to the amber mailing list which is
where I am copying this reply, please see http://ambermd.org for signup
details.

I'm not sure you will find a paper discussing this issue, more likely a text
book since it really centers around the underlying theory for Molecular
dynamics. Look up the Virial theorem of Clausius which is used to calculate
the pressure. Essentially the pressure is:

P = (1/V)[NkT-(1/3)sum,sum(rij*fij)]

So at low temperature NkT is almost zero and so the pressure is effectively
minus the sum of over the product of forces and positions. Hence you can get
a very large negative pressure.

The barostat then does:

(dP(t)/dt) = (1/taup)(Pbath - P(t))

So this would give a very large correction due to the fact that P(t) is very
-ve. The barostat will attempt to correct for this and can massively
overcorrect leading to a rapid change in system volume which leads to system
instability.

As for saying that constant pressure with restraints can also cause problems
I believe that I am actually referring to the use of constraints in the form
of Belly. This can cause problems since there is a force on the frozen atoms
which is effectively zeroed which means that the virial is not strictly
correct and so the pressure and ultimately the box size will not be correct.
With actual restraints, that use a harmonic potential where the correct
derivative of the restraints is taken this should not be a problem since
then things are formally correct. You may have issues if you restrain your
system to a very poor initial structure or restrain large parts of your
system that span the entire unit cell, although you'd have to test this.

Also due to an issue with the way the coordinates are scaled during NPT
simulations you will, I believe, have problems if you don't update the refc
for each run. I.e. having -ref point to the original structure while running
multiple NPT runs can cause problems. The only work around I have found is
to reset -ref to the restart file read in as -c on each step, this is not
ideal but solves this problem.

Good luck

Ross