Re: AMBER: $AMBERHOME/dat/slko

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 10:48:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gustavo:
All that you told is very interesting and useful. Thanks. However, I would like to see interfaces to NWChem too. Think that NWChem is completely free for non-commercial use and I believe - as a NWChem user - it can do the job that Gaussian does, if you rule out some illusions from the latter, as getting the IR of the compounds like from an IR spectrometer, or calculating the CD of compounds in condensed phase. Also, the binaries that NWChem offers, while quite fast, could even be much faster if compiled with "faster" compilers (NWChem is in Fortran and as offered in binaries is compiled with f77 or gfortran, which are much the same) with vendor math libraries (may be acml, which are also free). I plan to carry out such compilation soon. Many can not have the money for Gaussian. And the situation may subtract energies to such codes as NWChem and MPQC, the latter perhaps the best of all, although underdeveloped.

But, these are naive ideas from an experimentalist who has approached the virtual only recently.

Regards
francesco