Re: AMBER: massively parallel computation

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:32:22 -0400

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the support :-) I think a pointer to amber.scripps.edu, see the
benchmarks lists, should suffice. I am tied up doing other hopefully more
career-enhancing stuff at the moment than the 10 benchmarks, but I would
remark that 10 is typically between 10 and 50% faster than 9 depending on
your hardware, your ensemble (with NVE performance > NVT performance > NPT
performance), and other details of your problem. The comparisons have to be
made of pmemd 9 running today on hardware vs pmemd 10 running today on
hardware. I make this comment because in a number of instances, hardware
"out there" has been "upgraded" and the impact has been to make things
slower. So, IBM apparently dinked with the OS on the sp5's and now they are
something like 5% slower than they used to be (probably some compromises to
better support threading, but I am not sure). Cray waffled in their
commitment to 1 node = 1 cpu and started putting multiple cpu's in 1 node
(so the xt3 now has been "upgraded" to dual cpu's in a node) and it is
somewhere around 5% slower. Various intel commodity clusters have been
"upgraded" to multicore, going from dual cpu's running at 3.2-3.6 GHz to 4-8
running in the low 2 GHz range - a real loser, but what you can do to
counteract this little disaster is only use 6 out of the 8 cpu's. And so
on.
Regards - Bob