AMBER: ambertools: static linking of user binaries is not supported on Mac OS X

From: Alan <alanwilter.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 10:39:32 +0100

Hello!

I am a new user of ambertools (1.0) (downloaded from
http://ambermd.org/AmberTools-get.html, 17 May 08) and I was trying to
install it in Mac Osx 10.4.11, tiger, gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple
Computer, Inc. build 5370).

During compilation, almost everything went fine, but sleap failed to compile:

g++ -static -o sleap strbuff.o strmain.o plugins.o
../plugins/libplugins.a ../mortsrc/libmort.a
../freelib/readline/libreadline.a -lm
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o

I didn't try with icc, but I know why this error above, it's explained
in http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1118.html. Basically static
linking of user binaries is not supported on Mac OS X. So, removing
-static (LINK = g++ #-static) in amber10/src/gleap/leapsrc/Makefile
solved my problem.

I am just wondering how ambertools was compiled in
http://amberonmac.blogspot.com/. In Leopard? and then Leopard has not
the problem above anymore or it's because of icc? I am very curious
about that if someone can clarify me here.

And why sleap need to be linked statically?

And how to get the lastest from the current source tree? I didn't
apply any patch so far but I saw some discussions about it in this
list.

About test, ignoring float point differences in some tests (eg.
sustiva, tp), all fine but:

- c60 (as reported in this list)

- all tests using 'sleap' (Bus error, as reported in this list)

Many thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Alan
--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.