Re: AMBER: PGI amber9 problems

From: David A. Case <case.scripps.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 04:29:06 -0700

On Fri, May 16, 2008, Lorenzo Gontrani wrote:

> I am trying to compile amber9 on an opteron machine running linux sles10 SP1
> with PGI 7.0-2.
>
> I get the following error messages when compiling:
>
> >make serial
> >Starting installation of Amber9 (serial) at Fri May 16 04:48:41 CDT 2008.
> >cd lib; make install
> >make[1]: Entering directory `/root/AMBER_INSTALL/amber9/src/lib'
> >cpp -traditional -P new2oldparm.f > _new2oldparm.f
> >pgf90 -c -tp p7 -O1 -v -V -Minfo=all -Minform=inform -Mneginfo -o
> >new2oldparm.o _new2oldparm.f
> >pgf90-Error-Please run makelocalrc to complete your installation
>
> >pgf90 7.0-2 32-bit target on Linux
> >Copyright 1989-2000, The Portland Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
> >Copyright 2000-2007, STMicroelectronics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
> >make[1]: *** [new2oldparm.o] Error 1
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/AMBER_INSTALL/amber9/src/lib'
> >make: *** [serial] Error 2
>
> I used the same PGI compilers to build other codes, such as MOLPRO.
> I tried to run makelocalrc as suggested, but with no success

The "new2oldparm.f" file is a very simple fortran program, and it is almost
invariably true that problems with it reflect compiler problems, not problems
with the amber codes. This seems to be what the message "please run ... to
complete your installation" also means. Please double check that you can
really compile fortran programs with your compiler.

...dac