AMBER: CAVITY_SURFTEN & CAVITY_OFFSET default params

From: Marcin Krol <krol01.cancer.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:44:48 +0100

Dear All

I'm a bit confused what are the correct values for CAVITY_SURFTEN &
CAVITY_OFFSET parameters used in PB calculations. I want to calculate
free energy of binding with mm_pbsa.pl script. I wanted to use the
RADIOPT=1 and NPOPT=2.

AMBER manual says (on p. 271) that 'If NPOPT is set to 1 and RADIOPT set
to 1, these two lines (CAVITY_SURFTEN/CAVITY_OFFSET) can be removed,
i.e. use the default values set in pbsa for this nonpolar solvation
model. Otherwise, please set these to the following:
# CAVITY_SURFTEN: 0.04356
# CAVITY_OFFSET: -1.008'
I understand I should use 0.04356 and -1.008 if I use RADIOPT=1 and
NPOPT=2 and I don't need to worry if I use NPOPT=1

However, on p. 128 of the AMBER manual it is written that:
'CAVITY_SURFTEN ... The default value is for NPOPT = 2, but not for
NPOPT = 1.
CAVITY_OFFSET ... The default value is for NPOPT = 2, but not for NPOPT
= 1.'
So now it looks like I don't need to worry if I use NPOPT=2 but should
define CAVITY values if I use NPOPT=1

Could you comment on this? Is Sander clever enough to apply appropriate
CAVITY values both for NPOPT=1 and NPOPT=2 and I don't need to worry too
much? Or is the manual wrong in one place (which one?)

Cheers
Marcin

--
Dr Marcin Krol