AMBER: AMD Opteron: compiler recommendations?

From: Sasha Buzko <obuzko.ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:54:57 -0700

Hi all,
I've compiled sander.MPI and pmemd using Intel compilers and tested them
with no apparent errors on AMD processors. However, the executables seem
to be considerably faster on Intel chips (while the hardware is a bit
better in that case, it shouldn't account for a 30% performance increase).

Has anyone had any experience with comparing performance of binaries
built using different compilers on AMD hardware? For instance, how do
Pathscale compilers compare to Intel on Opterons? I've read reports
about the evil Intel intentionally under-optimizing code on non-Intel
chips, but hope it's not the issue here :).

Any recommendations and/or benchmark results would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sasha