Re: AMBER: Amber10 on Leopard with Intel compilers, "Undefined symbols" error

From: Yu Chen <chen.hhmi.umbc.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:50:54 -0400 (EDT)

>> I made some progress on Intel compilers with version 10(seems can't use
>> 64bit compiler with AmberTools). But got stuck with some "Undefined
>> symbols, "_ts_module_mp_boptts_", referenced from:
>> _ts_module_mp_boptts_$non_lazy_ptr in libdivcon.a" ... problems
>
> The workaround is to give to "-nosanderidc" flag to configure_amber. The
> divcon people may be able to start using macosx, but until that happens, or
> someone else debugs this, you will need to disable the divcon part. This is
> unlikely to be a limitation for most calculations.

Thanks, Dr. Case. Will try that.

>> then I edit the config_amber.h file replace the gcc with icc and g++ with
>> icpc (config_amber.h is attached too)
>
> I don't think there is any need to do this, but maybe it doesn't hurt. There
> are no performance-critical parts of Amber that are in C, so there is really
> no reason that I know of to use icc rather than gcc here.

Yes, I understand this. The reason is that later on, we are going to
compile the parallel version, and our MPI was compiled with icc/ifort,
just try to get everything compiled with same compilers. Since sometimes
the mixed compilers could actually lead to more problems from what I have
learned.

>> Undefined symbols:
>> "_ts_module_mp_boptts_", referenced from:
>> _ts_module_mp_boptts_$non_lazy_ptr in
>
> The hopeful thing is that these routines are not really needed for QM/MM
> anyway. One of the things on the divcon "to-do" list is to not compile
> things into sander that are not needed (because it unnecessarily exposes
> one to compiler problems). I'll cc this email to qtp to see if someone there
> has time to look at it.

Thank you.

> ...thanks for the report, and for being the Mac guinea pig!....dac

Thank you for great support! One thing I forgot to mention, I didn't apply
Dr. Zhang Wei's gleap patch for this.

Regards,

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone: (410)455-1728 (primary)
         (410)455-6347 (secondary)