Re: AMBER: MPI run problem

From: Robert Duke <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:57:33 -0400

Hello,
This is a limit imposed by Tom Darden on the pme code; it is in one sense
not firm at all; it is in another sense within a factor of two of getting
into trouble if you are on a symmetric multiprocessor where multiple
processors share memory and maybe each cpu does not have at least two
gigabytes, or running on 1 or 2 processors. Basically going from 256-->512
increases your fft memory requirements by 8; going from 256-->1024 increases
your fft memory requirements by 64. Now, with the distributed fft calc, you
divide back down, but you can still get into trouble if you go above a grid
size of about 512 (depending on processor count, system memory, etc.)
Also, it gets really expensive computationally to handle fft grids at
densities above 1 grid point per angstrom. I did increase the default max
to 512 in pmemd 10 because we are hitting some instances with really big
systems where a dimension is > 256 angstrom, though. Okay, so with all
these caveats, you can fix your copy of the code to allow a larger max grid
size by editing mdin_ewald_dat.fpp and recompiling. The critical value is:
integer, parameter :: gridhi = 512 (or whatever new value you want - it
is 256 in pmemd 9 I believe).
Regards - Bob Duke