RE: AMBER: Protein rotating out of box

From: Steve Spronk <spronk.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:55:20 -0400

Hi Lars,

I know that using an octahedral box would waste waters, but this is
definitely the preferable method. It's better to have slower simulations
with an octahedral box than fast simulations that give you junk, like a
protein interacting with its own image.

The only other method that I can think of is using a rectangular box as
before, but you could place very weak restraints on a couple of atoms that
lie along the long axis (preferably on opposite sides of the protein). That
way the protein couldn't rotate except around the long axis. However, this
is nonphysical and may introduce other problems--you'll have to investigate.
I've never heard of this before, but perhaps you could get away with it.

People do simulations with long straight structures like DNA or fibrous
proteins. You could see if there are any tricks mentioned in those papers.

Steve