RE: AMBER: Equilibration of protein complex in POPC membrane, the whole TIP3 solvated

From: Steve Spronk <spronk.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:44:33 -0500

Another addition to the discussion, also referring back to your solvatebox
vs. solvateoct question:

One thing to be aware of when using a rectangular box instead of a truncated
octahedron (which is much more spherical in shape) is that the rectangular
box probably has different lengths in different dimensions. If you are
simulating a soluble protein, there is nothing to prevent it from rotating
during the simulation. The box, however, does not rotate; the protein may
rotate so that its "longest" dimension no longer coincides with the box's
longest dimension. The distance between the protein and the box edge--which
was originally 12 A using the parameters you described--may now be much
less, and in fact, the protein may actually span the whole box. You end up
inadvertently violating the minimum-image convention. This is especially
problematic for "elongated" structures, such as a stretch of DNA or a linear
polymer. It's a tough issue, because these systems are most prone to the
minimum image violations I've just described, but they also result in the
most "wasted" space when placing them in an octahedral box.

The membrane in your system will not allow for this type of 3-dimensional
rotation in your simulation, so you are safe using the rectangular box,
which gives you the fewest number of particles to deal with. But it is
often preferable to use a truncated octahedron for long simulations of
soluble proteins, even if it requires more water molecules.