Re: AMBER: antechamber fails with large molecules

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 07:01:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ilyas:
That molecule of 500 atoms was a bold starting at a time that I knew even less
than I know now. I mentioned that in the context of the new respgen.c only to
remind my interest. Set aside. There is no theory to deal computationally with
that.

What you are saying (and other subscribers said in parallel interventions) does
not apply to organic chemistry/natural product chemistry, except perhaps in
rare out-of-the-norm cases, if any. At any event, I am not aware of any single
example of treating a complicated organic molecule as residues to be recomposed
later. The reason is simple: any portion is generally highly flexible - which
defeats any choice of residues - and any portion you can conceive interacts
strongly with neighboring portions. No repetitive units, very scarce similarity
with units in other families of compounds, and a behavior that depends on large
sections of the molecule, if not, in many cases, on the whole. That is
certainly the case of my 500-atoms molecule, and even of the other smaller
members of the family.

This is why computational medicinal chemists do docking for very small - or
very rigid - ligands only. Nonetheless, nature is able to dock specifically
with molecules as alrge and as flexible as above.

Perhaps one could calculate partial charges rapidly with antechamber (not for
500-atoms molecule, say 150-atoms) carry out a simulated annealing and/or a
montecarlo sampling and then refining by calculating the partial charges for a
wide variety of low-energy conformers. Finally, averaging.

regards
francesco