Re: AMBER: antechamber fails with large molecules

From: Ilyas Yildirim <yildirim.pas.rochester.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 05:10:33 -0400 (EDT)

As I wrote in my previous email, polarizable force fields are still under
development. In amber99 force field, there is a parameter defined
as polarizability, but this is for Mg2+ and F- ions. I am not sure how the
polarizability is implemented to AMBER 9, but I am not aware of a fully
constructed polarizable force field. Others might know more about this.

Best,

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Eddie Men wrote:

> This is a good question (or one I also have):
>
> "A better solution might be to use a polarizable force field, which will
> change the charges of the atoms by time, depending on the neighbouring
> atoms they are interacting. Polarizable force fields are still in
> development stage, and I am not aware of any fully working polarizable
> force field."
>
> I tried a model with resp charges for ATP braking it into ADP and PO3,
> however when computing free energies the ATP breaks spontaneously at
> very low temperature ( because both molecules are negative charged),
> so I changed to a QM/MM description.
>
> Is it possible to model that reaction with polarizable forece fields?.
> What about mixing force fields?.
>

> Eddie
>

> Best,
>

> Ilyas Yildirim wrote:
> > I know this question was discussed before, but I, also, do not understand
> > the reason to calculate the resp charges for a system like a molecule
> > which has 500 atoms in it. My understanding of charges and its importance
> > in a structure is as follows:
> >
> > Some charge distrubution (point charges in this case) has to be chosen
> > such that it is going to mimic the Q.M. potential around the molecule.
> > Currently, constant charges are used in molecules, meaning the charges
> > do not change by simulation time (except for some polarizable force field
> > implementations, which is still new). The critical question is this: For
> > this molecule, is there only one conformation or more than one? If it is
> > a small molecule, probably it will choose one particular conformation,
> > which implies that one charge distribution might be reasonable enough to
> > mimic the quantum mechanical potential around this molecule.
> >
> > If the structure is too big, then it will probably have more than one
> > conformation to choose. Without knowing the conformations this molecule
> > can choose, a constant charge distribution model will never work. The best
> > thing to do (if someone wants to use constant charge model) is to divide
> > this molecule into sub-molecules (like residues) and then to calculate the
> > charges for these sub-molecules (this is still an approximation though).
> >
> > A better solution might be to use a polarizable force field, which will
> > change the charges of the atoms by time, depending on the neighbouring
> > atoms they are interacting. Polarizable force fields are still in
> > development stage, and I am not aware of any fully working polarizable
> > force field.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Junmei Wang wrote:

> [...]

  Ilyas Yildirim
  = Department of Chemistry      -                              =
  = University of Rochester      -                              =
  = Rochester, NY 14627-0216     - Ph.:(585) 275 67 66 (Office) =
  = http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~yildirim/                     =