Re: AMBER: results from TI

From: Thomas Steinbrecher <steinbrt.scripps.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:07:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Holly,

be sure to look at the breakdown of the DVDL at the end of the output
file. I bet most of the 17kcal is 1-4 interactions and electrostatics, and
only a small part is VDWAALS. Removing a few atoms should result in only
a few kcal/mol free energy change at most.

Your input files for the sc part look good too at first glance, maybe this
is really just an issue of sampling. I you do one ns more and a few lambda
points more, do your results change significantly?

It should be no problem if your middle step transforms between two
completely arbitrary charges, this will all balance out in the end, but
try and include the oxygen in the softcore part both in the OH and OMe
groups to see if you get a similar result.

Regards,

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Steinbrecher
The Scripps Research Institute