RE: AMBER: Beowulf cluster from PSSC Labs

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:28:29 -0700

Dear Aaron,

> We purchased a Beowulf cluster from PSSC Labs with the following
> pertinent characteristics.
>
> 2 each: AMD Opteron Rev F. 1216 Dual Core Processors (64 bit)
> 8 GB Memory
> Fedora Core 4 9.0
> Intel Fortan 9.0
> Intel C 9.0
> Intel MKL 9.1
> MPICH 1.2.7p1
>
> There are just too many errors to compile amber 9.

This is a pretty standard system you should have no problems building amber
9. If you post what you did and the errors you saw we can probably help you
out.

Amber 8 can be a little more tricky on x86_64 machines since these came out
after it was released. Amber 9 also shows much better parallel performance
so I would concentrate on trying to get amber 9 working.

> amber8 will compile as long as I don't use the MKL libraries.

This is likely a 32 bit compilation vs 64 bit library problem. It is fixed
in Amber 9.

All the best
Ross

/\