Re: AMBER: Criteria for classical md being OK to move to QM-MM

From: M. L. Dodson <mldodson.houston.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 13:24:43 -0500

Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks for meoh spreading out.
>

> xmgrace summary.TSOLVENT
>
> gives a straight line, which goes fro 100 to 400 (ordinate scale) vs
> (abscissa). Similar trend for TSOLUTE. Which is confusing me, not
knowing the
> units 100-400 and 0-2000
>
> francesco

Do you mean the data points approach 400? (degrees Kelvin are the
units.) If so, that is wrong based on your tempi and temp0
settings. Since you have already equilibrated to temperature in a
constant volume run (I assume) before you switched to constant
pressure to equilibrate the density, you should get data points
that average to 300K.

Just to make sure, the classical equilibration recipe is something
like: minimization restraining solute, constant vol. dynamics to
heat up to desired temp., constant pressure dynamics to
equilibrate the density, then production. I always throw in a
200ps constant vol. run after this recipe before I start NVE
production. Different people do it different ways, but most will
use some variation of this kind of equilibration, I would think.

Following this recipe I have never observed temperature drift with
either classical dynamics (ff99SB) or QMMM for the <= 5ns runs I
have done (QMMM substantially shorter runs than 5ns). This is
with TIP3P water and protein and/or DNA solutes (neutralized with
Na+/Cl-). Other people report much longer NVE runs with stable
temperatures, and I believe Ross Walker has done ns length AMBER9
QMMM runs with stable temperatures. Note this is with PME.

For solvent cap or solvent box runs without PBC, you should not
expect energy conservation, so should use a thermostat, and even
then, you may have temperature drift with longer runs (depending
on how tightly the thermostat is coupled).

Bud Dodson

> --- "M. L. Dodson" <mldodson.houston.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Francesco Pietra wrote:
>> > For a 98-atoms non polymeric molecule in meoh
>> >
>> > solvatebox EQE MEOHBOX 15
>> >
>> > I have carried out, in sequence:
>> > (1) minimization of solvent alone.
>> > (2) minimization whole system.
>> > (3) Heating in six steps from 0K to 300K.
>> > (4) Pressure equilibration according to:
>> >
>> > Equilibrate pressure and 30ps md
>> > &cntrl
>> > imin=0, irest=1, ntx=7,
>> > ntb=2, pres0=1.0, ntp=1,
>> > taup=2.0, cut=10.0, ntr=0,
>> > ntc=2, ntf=2,
>> > tempi=300.0, temp0=300.0,
>> > ntt=3, gamma_ln=1.0,
>> > nstlim=20000, dt=0.0015,
>> > ntpr=100, ntwx=100, ntwr=3000
>> > /
>> >
>> > After 150ps of the latter, I observe (perl script & xmgrace)
constant

--
M. L. Dodson
Email:	mldodson-at-houston-dot-rr-dot-com