AMBER: Fwd: SCC convergence failure in QM-MM DFTB

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:26:42 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps relevant to add to the issue below:

---solvateCap EQE TIP3PBOX {coordinates of a solute central atom} 20.0

placed the solute right at the center of the spherical cap; though, along the
longer axis, the 98-atoms solute was not far from the spherical cap edge. I
wonder whether a much bigger cap should be set, and whether 20.0 present one
has hindered SCC convergence.

--- I was surprised that DFTB MD used as as little memory as AM1 MD (ca 0.1% of
the 4GB available per node). Having not yet read the DFTB theory in detail, I
am comparing to classical DFT, where modern functionals at modest 6-31G* basis
set level, with the same 98-atoms molecule in vacuum, led to use all the
available memory (ad there was still much swapping). I understand that DFTB
working must be profoundly different from classical DFT.

francesco