Re: AMBER: antechamber, how does it work

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:53:55 -0700 (PDT)

I still feel that my best chances are through divcon. I gratefully accept your
suggestion to go to divcon directly, chapter 7. Checking against QuantumBio web
pages, it seems that the version of divcon in Amber9 is the latest, 4.5.

Antechamber chapter 4 might have been more explicit, telling immediately that
the job will be "Standard Job", i.e., without linear scaling. I was mislead by
the temperature setting, that Amber9 manual lists under the "divide and
conquer" option. After your suggestion above, I examined divcon.in created by
antechamber (precisely by wmopcrt) for divcon for my 500-atoms molecule. Of the
keywords listed:

CARTESIAN AM1 STANDARD DIRECT OPT=BFGS XTEST=0.0001 CHARGE=-2

STANDARD shows that minimization is going on hopelessly with the N^3 scaling
with the number of electrons.

If I understand, appropriate modification of the keywords on top of divcon.in
should make this native divcon input file (divcon.in) suitable to the task. If
so, Antechamber is useful to provide divcon.in. Then, I have to run
linearly-scaled divcon so that it furnishes files for the other antechamber
components to arrive at prmtop and inprcd.

All that assuming that linearly-scaled divcon is able to treat my 500-atoms
molecule as a single residue (I assume that the examples given in divcon manual
for multi-residue molecules simply reflect the prevalent use).

In summary, the situation is now much clearer. Any suggestion about what I have
grossly delineated above would be welcome.

Thanks
francesco pietra