RE: AMBER: Fwd: QM region + cutoff larger that box

From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret.yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 23:28:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gustavo and Bud:
Yes, as you suspected, the run that failed had qmmask ='1-2' while there was
just one residue (initially I attached the out file, where the input file could
be seen). When qmmask is set correctly, even this run went to completion up to
tried 100ps.

The far more serious problem is how to run the QM part, i.e.
(1) which theory for the given problem,
(2) what to look at (ESCF, EPtot, ..) to compare the potential energies of the
conformers.
Semiempirical PM3 AM1 MNDO are known to be unable to reproduce conformational
energy differences between conformers. PM3, for example, gives for
methylcyclohexane eq/ax 1.0-1.1, against the experimental (non-hydroxylic
solvents r.t., 1.8). I am unfamiliar with PDDG or CARBI variants, though
probably they follow the trend of their precursors: where one performs better,
the other one fails. The trend being unpredictable.

On the other hand, DFT-MM as in Amber9 can't deal with the medium effect, which
is just my interest. Also, DFT requires very modern functionals and high basis
sets to work with my cases.

I am now exploring the performance of semiempirical QM-MM with test cases that
embody features of the molecules of my interest. The conformational ratios for
these test cases are known in condensed phase. I can't see how to approach the
case better for the time being.

Cheers

francesco pietra