RE: AMBER: QMMM to follow reaction involving water

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:41:17 -0400

Hi,

The error you show is most probably related to the diffusion problem: the QM
zone is becoming too big. This diffusion is actually natural. The only way
to avoid it, for now, is to impose restraints to the QM water molecules, but
I have no idea what effect this will have in the end.

About the DFTB convergence, well... This is not an "Amber" problem:
convergence difficulties are well known in the DFTB users community. In
Amber 10, there is a way to improve DFTB convergence, but is not guaranteed
to work: Amber 10 has a new namelist keyword, 'dftb_telec', which sets an
'electronic temperature', which improves convergence. Notice that you do
*not* want to give it a very high number. Usually, 'dftb_telec=100' does
solve the problem, and higher numbers don't seem to make much difference.
You definitely don't want it to be higher than your system temperature.

HTH,
Gustavo.