Re: AMBER: large RMS fluctuations in turning off VDW interactions by TI

From: David Mobley <dmobley.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:56:43 -0700

Holly,

> Thanks for your answer. Actually my fluctuations are worse than you mentioned. Here is what I have
> for fluctuations:
>
> At lambda = 0.01592, 4.7916
> At clambda = 0.08198, 4.9031
> At clambda = 0.19331, 5.6905
> At clambda = 0.33787, 7.5437
> At clambda = 0.5, 11.4195
> At clambda = 0.66213, 24.0413
> At clambda = 0.80669, 48.7498
> At clambda = 0.91802, 133.4857
> At clambda = 0.98408, the program won't run - I think because velocities get too large
>
> So I will have to throw out the values from clambda = 0.91802 on.
> I had previously thought that the RMS fluctuations give the error, but it sounds like this isn't right
> from what you wrote below. I'm not sure how you are estimating errors from the RMS fluctuations.

In terms of the error analysis, the RMS fluctuations are just the
standard deviation of dV/dlambda, basically. These are *not* your
uncertainty. To convince yourself of this, just realize that your
uncertainty should go down as the number of samples of dV/dlambda
increases, but since the RMS fluctuations are just a property of the
distribution of dV/dlambda, these should remain unchanged once you
have enough sampling. So, really, your uncertainty at each lambda
value is (RMS)/sqrt(N/g), where N is your number of samples and g is
the "statistical inefficiency" (always 1 or larger) that measures,
essentially, how many correlated snapshots there are before every
uncorrelated snapshot. In other words, you really don't have N
independent samples of dV/dlambda, so it's incorrect to estimate the
uncertainty by dividing by sqrt(N). Rather, you have N samples of
dV/dlambda, but because the system changes configurations only
relatively slowly (usually), consecutive samples are related, on a
timescale equal to the autocorrelation time (which is why Thomas was
talking about the correlation time).

So, the two basic ways to correctly do error analysis are either (a)
compute the autocorrelation time/statistical inefficiency in order to
use an expression like that above, or (b) only sample dV/dlambda at a
time interval you know to be longer than the autocorrelation time, so
that your samples are uncorrelated and you can just use the sqrt(N)
factor. Of course, usually you don't know the autocorrelation time in
advance so you need to do (a).

> I am really only intersted in the free energy change associated with turning off the WCA attractive
> potential, and so maybe I can do OK with just extrapolating the numbers I have for clambda less than
> or equal to 0.80669 down to zero at clambda = 1, considering that up until clambda = 0.80669 the
> repulsive forces are all still likely on.

In my opinion (and that expressed in our preprint and the Beutler and
van Gunsteren paper I mentioned) the need to extrapolate to the
endpoint is one of the arguments in favor of soft core. But I guess
that doesn't help you very much.

Best wishes,
David