Re: AMBER: large RMS fluctuations in turning off VDW interactions by TI

From: David Mobley <dmobley.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 13:03:17 -0700

Holly,

I agree with Julien here, and also recommend the paper he mentioned,
as well as the Beutler and van Gunsteren paper (referenced therein) on
softcore potentials from about 1994. You might also have a look at
this preprint on a study on essentially this issue:
http://www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/~dmobley/papers/steinbrecher.pdf (the
Beutler and van Gunsteren paper is also referenced there).

The next version of AMBER will have "soft core potentials"
implemented; these are designed to deal with this problem by removing
the singularity in dV/dlambda and reducing the numerical noise.

Best wishes,
David