Re: AMBER: solvent accessible surface area (SASA)

From: Esther Brugger <esther_brugger.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 08:40:16 -0800 (PST)

Thanks!
 I remove the water by using ptraj, and doing the calcuation as following:

 $AMBERHOME/exe/sander -O -i 1_SASA.in -c 1_initial.rst -p 1_wat.prmtop -x 1_SASA.mdcrd -o LV_SASA.out

 After runing it, it shows:
  GB/SA calculation is performed only when igb>0

 I really don't know which option I should select in igb. Could you please give me some suggestions?

 Thanks a lot!

Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote: use ptraj to remove the water with the strip command. you can't calculate SASA with water there.
also the -c is not right for the mdcrd file. check the amber manual for details.

 On 3/1/07, Esther Brugger <esther_brugger.yahoo.com> wrote: Thanks for your reply. Here is the command and input file that I used.
 Acturally, this mdcrd trajactory file has the water in it, I want to remove the water to calculate the SASA, but I really don't know how to do it. Thanks again for your help!
 $AMBERHOME/exe/sander -O -i SASA.in -p prmtop -c mdcrd -o SASA.out
 &cntrl
   imin = 5,
   gbsa=2,
   surften=1
  /

 Carlos Simmerling < carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote: can you tell us what you did? send the sander run script and input.

On 2/28/07, Esther Brugger < esther_brugger.yahoo.com > wrote:Dear Carlos,

 Thanks a lot for your reply.
 I tried as you said, it has some prolems when it runs. it shows:
 forrtl: severe (64): input conversion error, unit -5, file Internal Formatted Read
 Image PC Routine Line Source
 sander 081A86F6 Unknown Unknown Unknown
 I don't know why......Do you have any suggestion for that?
 Thanks,

Carlos Simmerling < carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote: you might try using the gbsa optino, especially gbsa=2 and surften=1. this
way the SASA energy will actually be the SASA. You can use imin=5 to read the
trajectory and report SASA for each frame.

 On 2/28/07, Esther Brugger <esther_brugger.yahoo.com> wrote: Dear Everyone,

 I am trying to calculate the "solvent accessible surface area (SASA)" of a molecule through a trajectory file obtained by MD simulation (AMBER8). I removed the water molecules (TIP3P model) and counter ions from the systym by using Ptraj. I have some problems to do the calculation of SASA.

 (1) I checked the archive file for the discussion, it seems "molsurf" program can calculate SASA if I put the proble radius at zero, is it correct? But it need pqrfile, I really don't know how I can get this file. And is it possible to calculate SASA by mdcrd trajectory file in molsurf?
 (2) Someone suggested to use the software (SURFace) in Honig Lab, but I found it needs the pdb file for the calculations. Is there someone know how to convert the trajactory (mdcrd) file to pdb file for each of the frame?
 (3) I also found somebody suggested to usd the software "naccess", but I met some problems to decrypt the file, because I didn't find the commands "crypt/des/mcrypt" in my Linux system. Dose someone could give me some suggestions about that?

 Sorry, I post a lot of questions, I really wish someone could help me to solve these problelms,
 Thanks for your any help!

 Esther B.

Bored stiff? Loosen up...

[...]

Finding fabulous fares is fun.