Re: AMBER: nonpolar solvation energy

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.csb.sunysb.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:54:14 -0500

keep in mind that if you do this with water, you'll likely need a much
smaller surface
tension term to estimate the hydrophobic contribution to solvation. Most
often,
the SASA term attempts to account for the _difference_ between the
hydrophobic
and the solute-solvent vdW terms, resulting in a small surface tension.
If you
directly calculate the dispersion term then you need a larger surface
tension.
It's not something to try unless you understand these issues well.
carlos